- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Question of the Day
Decision expected on land deal
A decision is expected this week on another state land deal that has prompted questions by Comptroller Peter Franchot.
Maryland is considering buying land at the northern tip of Kent Island for more than $7 million.
The Board of Public Works is scheduled to address the sale Wednesday after delaying a decision on the preservation of 74 acres. The high price of recent preservation acquisitions has led to questions about the way the state uses Program Open Space funds.
The board was set to vote July 11 on the Kent Island land, but Mr. Franchot questioned spending $7.2 million on the site of a port that accepts dredge materials.
Earlier this month, the board approved a separate multimillion purchase of land in Queen Anne’s County owned by a company with ties to Gov. Martin O’Malley, a Democrat. Some have raised issue with that purchase because its price was higher than state appraisals.
Arson ruled in building fire
The state fire marshall’s office says a blaze early Saturday in Clear Spring was deliberately set.
The fire on Dam No. 5 Road was reported about 1 a.m. Twenty-five firefighters from Clear Spring and Williamsport responded to the scene and brought the blaze under control within 20 minutes.
No injuries were reported.
The fire marshall’s office says the fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the building and its contents.
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq