- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Samuels could be out for a month
Question of the Day
In addition to Samuels, receiver Mike Espy (bruised right knee cap) and fullback Pete Schmitt (left rotator cuff) were added to the injury report yesterday.
Missing both practices were tight end Tyler Ecker (groin) and linebacker Dallas Sartz (hamstring). Linebacker H.B. Blades (cramps) sat out the morning and linebacker Marcus Washington rested during the second practice.
Sartz and Blades both are competing for spots in a competitive linebacker group and can’t afford to miss practice time.
Assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams acknowledged disappointment with the linebackers’ absence.
“That’s part of their acclimation,” he said. “They have to learn how to practice. … Part of being a pro is taking care of your body and replenishing what you lose during practice.”
Tight end added
With Ecker on the shelf, the Redskins signed tight end Jake Nordin and released kicker Tyler Fredrickson. Nordin was signed in May by New England and released July 19.
• Staff writer David Elfin contributed to this article.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq