TODAY ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM
In The Room: Corey Masisak still has a hockey practice to attend. And he'll have the latest from K-Plex on the Washington Capitals blog.
TODAY'S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Expect a high-scoring affair (that's a polite way of saying there won't be a lot of defense) when the top-seeded Lakers play host to the Nuggets in a first-round playoff opener. 3 p.m., Chs. 7, 2
ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM - EXCERPT FROM D1SCOURSE, OUR COLLEGES BLOG
Seemingly determined to dig up something more obscure and offbeat than the chess final four story we had a couple weeks ago, Patrick Stevens stumbled upon our area's latest national championship squad.
Maryland-Eastern Shore sports information director Stan Bradley checked in earlier this week with some interesting news: The Hawks' women's bowling team won an NCAA title last weekend in Omaha, Neb.
There's lots of interesting facets of this, one of which is the program could pull a CCNY basketball, circa 1950, deal and win a pair of national titles in a year. The Hawks are in Wichita, Kan., this weekend for the USBC championship (there must be something about bowling and the Midwest).
But here are some other interesting tidbits:
•It is the first NCAA championship in school history.
• It is the first NCAA Division I women's championship for a historically black college or university.
• Bowling coach Sharon Brummell makes roughly $10,000 for her coaching duties (she's also an assistant athletic director), which seems like a considerable bargain at a school not known for a powerhouse athletic department. UMES, by the way, just doled out $110,000 a year to Frankie Allen to fix up its perennially moribund basketball program.
— Patrick Stevens
TWT FIVE - DRAFT MOVERS AND SHAKERS
These five folks will have a big say in how things shake out next weekend, one way or another.
1. Bill Parcells, Miami: Dolphins honcho controls the direction of the first round.
2. Branden Albert, Virginia: Lineman could go anywhere from fifth to 25th.
3. Darren McFadden, Arkansas: Questionable past ... but he's really fast.
4. Matt Ryan, Boston College: Should be the first QB taken.
5. Jerry Jones, Dallas: Because no one really knows what the Cowboys' owner will do. ... even he doesn't know.