- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
- India top court rules homosexuality is illegal
- Aaron Hernandez, ex-Patriot, on prison life: ‘I’m way less stressed in jail’
- Man pulled from water believed to be disgraced D.C. cop
- Kabul airport hit by suicide bomber who targeted NATO gate
CHICAGO WHITE SOX - Agreed to terms with RHP Octavio Dotel on a two-year contract and INF-OF Alexei Ramirez on a four-year contract. Designated RHP David Aardsma for assignment.
CHICAGO CUBS - Named Carmelo Martinez Latin American field coordinator, Mark Riggins minor league pitching coordinator, Jose Serra Latin American operations managers, Hector Ortega Latin American supervisor, Charlie Aliano eastern regional scout supervisor, Bill Harford major league scout and Mike Valarezo special assistant to the general manager.
NEW YORK METS - Agreed to terms with OF Endy Chavez on a two-year contract.
SIOUX FALLS CANARIES - Agreed to terms with RHP Kevin Cheppenko. Traded INF Mike Rohde to Gary (Northern) to complete the earlier trade.
SIOUX CITY EXPLORERS - Released OF Paul Weichard. Traded RHP Robert Wooley to Rockford (Frontier) for a player to be named.
WICHITA WINGNUTS - Acquired INF Chad Ehrnsberger from Joliet (Northern) for a player to be named.
NEWARK BEARS - Named Ryan Jones, hitting coach.
NEW JERSEY JACKALS - Traded INF Wilton Veras to Pensacola (AA) for a player to be named.
MIAMI DOLPHINS - Named James Saxon running backs coach and Evan Marcus strength and conditioning coach.
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - Signed Jon Gruden, coach, and Bryce Allen, general manager, to three-year contract extensions.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS - Fired John Ferguson, general manager. Named Cliff Fletcher interim general manager.
American Hockey League
HARTFORD WOLF PACK - Returned F Jordan Owens to Charlotte (ECHL).
SPRINGFIELD FALCONS - Reassigned D Brad Farynuk to Stockton (ECHL).
REAL SALT LAKE - Waived M Jamie Watson.
NATIONAL FOOTBALL FOUNDATION - Named Lisa Malin executive director of the College Football Hall of Fame.
ARMY - Announced the retirement of Gene Ventriglia, women's soccer coach, effective at the end of the 2008 season.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN - Named Chad Callihan volleyball coach.
IUPUI - Named Joni Sanders men's and women's assistant cross country coach.
PITTSBURGH - Named Tony Wise offensive line coach.
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Obama hits new poll lows for approval 38 percent
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- LAMBRO: The dark lining to the silver cloud of Obamanomics
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Helping the YOUniverse conspire on your behalf.
A column dedicated to discussing politics, national security, civil liberties, and education.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow