- The Washington Times - Monday, July 14, 2008

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

The Washington bothered to request Navarro’s extradition.

Mr. Aguilar was attempting to stop two suspected drug smugglers Jan. 19 about 20 miles west of United States) would be prosecuted in Mexico, but that the Mexican government was awaiting an extradition request from the United States.

Fast forward to last month: Navarro applied for and was granted bail after being “cleared” of an unrelated migrant-smuggling charge. The Mexican government says it knew nothing about Navarro’s release until after it occurred, and that it is now trying to put him behind bars. But that begs the question of how Navarro could be released given that the Mexican government itself had issued a statement implicating him in drug smuggling and running down Mr. Aguilar with his Hummer.

But the U.S. government (and in particular, the White House and the Justice Department) also has questions to answer. Mexico said late last month that Washington had not issued an arrest warrant, provided evidence or contacted it regarding Navarro’s extradition. Then, on Thursday, Mexico said that U.S. officials did in fact make “a provisional arrest request for extradition purposes” - but did so more than a week after Navarro’s release. So, we’ve heard Mexico’s versions of what happened in the Navarro case (both of them.) It’s past time for the White House and the Justice Department to come forward with their own explanation of how things were fouled up, and why Jesus Navarro Montes is a free man.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide