- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Green groups bolster lobby against offshore drilling
“The most important thing to get out there is that it is a false solution,” said David Willett, citing a Department of Energy report indicating that more offshore drilling would not significantly reduce oil prices.
He nevertheless acknowledged the appeal of drilling among voters and therefore lawmakers as well.
A Rasmussen Reports survey last month found 64 percent of voters think it is at least somewhat likely that offshore drilling will reduce gas prices, while 27 percent were not convinced.
“There is undeniably pressure on everyone in Congress now because people are hurting,” Mr. Willett said. “But I think the Democratic delegation in general understands that offshore drilling isn’t going to affect [oil prices].”
The Sierra Club is promoting the same energy plans as Democratic leaders, including a crackdown on speculation in the oil futures market that they blame for artificially inflating prices.
The group also echoes the call by Mrs. Pelosi for the administration to release oil from the Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, proposes to fund by raising taxes on the oil industry.
About the Author
Steven A Miller
- Massachusetts 'tossup' threatens Obama agenda
- Weiner blasts health care 'negotiation'
- Democrats chart dim midterm course
- McCain slams court decision
- Kaine: GOP 'civil war' ace in hole
Latest Blog Entries
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again