- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Theodore signs deal with Caps
The 22-year-old, who had been just a few hours away from hitting the market as a restricted free agent, led all NHL defensemen with 18 goals last season and finished eighth with 56 points. Green, now under contract through 2011-12, will have one more year as an RFA before becoming eligible for unrestricted free agency.
McPhee said Tuesday owner Ted Leonsis has given him the authority to spend up to the salary cap (set at $56.7 million this season) if necessary. He also said Brian Pothier (concussion) has placed on long-term injured reserve, so his $2.5 million salary will not count against the team’s cap this season if he can’t return to the lineup because of post-concussion complications.
That means the Caps could have a little more than $9.5 million left under the cap depending on who makes the team out of training camp with RFAs Brooks Laich, Shaone Morrisonn and Boyd Gordon - and possibly unrestricted free agent Sergei Fedorov - still to sign.
“We’ve said that when these kids come of age and it is time to renew them, we will,” McPhee said. “We’ll keep the team intact and spend what we need to spend to do it.”
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CPAC 2014: GOP optimism, agenda emerge at CPAC
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again