- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Theodore signs deal with Caps
The 22-year-old, who had been just a few hours away from hitting the market as a restricted free agent, led all NHL defensemen with 18 goals last season and finished eighth with 56 points. Green, now under contract through 2011-12, will have one more year as an RFA before becoming eligible for unrestricted free agency.
McPhee said Tuesday owner Ted Leonsis has given him the authority to spend up to the salary cap (set at $56.7 million this season) if necessary. He also said Brian Pothier (concussion) has placed on long-term injured reserve, so his $2.5 million salary will not count against the team’s cap this season if he can’t return to the lineup because of post-concussion complications.
That means the Caps could have a little more than $9.5 million left under the cap depending on who makes the team out of training camp with RFAs Brooks Laich, Shaone Morrisonn and Boyd Gordon - and possibly unrestricted free agent Sergei Fedorov - still to sign.
“We’ve said that when these kids come of age and it is time to renew them, we will,” McPhee said. “We’ll keep the team intact and spend what we need to spend to do it.”
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.