- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
Former Sen. Jesse Helms dead at 86
Mr. Helms was an influential conservative who served from 1973 to 2003. He had suffered multiple health problems, including bone disorders, prostate cancer and heart disease. Funeral arrangements are being made, according to a release from the Jesse Helms Center in Wingate, N.C.
A polarizing figure, Mr. Helms was a harsh critic of affirmative action and other progressive causes. He firmly fought to defend his views on social policies and foreign affairs, a fight that garnered high praise among conservative stalwarts.
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, praised the life and work of Mr. Helms, who was a long-time chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
“Today we lost a senator whose stature in Congress had few equals,” Mr. McConnell said in a release. “Senator Jesse Helms was a leading voice and courageous champion for the many causes he believed in. Jesse and Dot were great friends to Elaine and me. We mourn his passing and extend our deepest sympathies to the extended Helms family.”
About the Author
- SHEFFIELD: Olbermann ethics fiasco
- SHEFFIELD: CNN puts the moves on cable TV
- SHEFFIELD: Sampling the Tea Party
- BOOK REVIEW: Insider's view of the financial crisis
- SHEFFIELD: The Clinton curse
Latest Blog Entries
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again