- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Question of the Day
HE SAID WHAT?
“I feel like every week we have something to prove.” — Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree after his team beat Oklahoma State 56-20
WEEKEND REWIND » IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Texas Tech, holy cow — Who needs defense? The second-ranked Red Raiders made quick and efficient work of Mike Gundy's Oklahoma State. Yes, it really was 56-20. And Graham Harrell is the clear front-runner for the Heisman after posting a 40-for-50 night with 456 yards and, oh yeah, six touchdowns. Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy, your door prizes are ready. Michael Crabtree, next year is your year.
Pink is the latest upset — No. 3 Penn State falls victim to Iowa's famed pink visitors locker room ... and backup kicker Daniel Murray, losing 24-23. Dashed are Joe Paterno's national title hopes, but at least the Big Ten won't get a spot in the BCS title game. And if Alabama and Texas Tech keep rolling, that will be one heck of a shootout.
Titans stay undefeated — On a good day, Texas Tech could give the Titans a game, but Tennessee remains the NFL's only unbeaten team. Another ho-hum 289-yard day for Kerry Collins and a 21-14 win over the Bears.
TWT FIVE » LACKLUSTER SEASON FINALES
1. Sprint Cup — Sure, the last 10 races of the season provide something special to drive for, but Jimmie Johnson has it just about wrapped up with two races left.
2. PGA — Yes, the season ended Sunday with Davis Love III winning at Disney World. What, is November not golf season for you?
3. Tennis — It's called the Masters Cup, and it's ongoing. If a tennis tournament happens and it gets shown on tape delay on Comcast SportsNet, is it actually happening?
4. Horse racing — OK, calling the Belmont Stakes a season finale isn't quite fair, but horse racing's Triple Crown is exciting only when a horse has a shot to win all three. If not, the TV ratings are usually quite dreadful.
5. College football — This is simple: no playoff, teams off for a month, way more hype than the game itself deserves.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Homeland Security adviser tweets America is 'Islamic country'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs