- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
ZADZOOKS: Black Canary, General Obi-Wan Kenobi on shelves
Thanks to the proliferation of film, comic-book and cartoon characters, companies are bombarding consumers with an incredible selection of action figures. With tongue in cheek, lets take a peek at some of the specimens worthy of a place in Zad’s Toy Vault.
DC Direct, the collectibles division of DC Comics, celebrates the heroes and villains of its parent company with its 1:6 scale Deluxe Collector Series line. With nearly 25 figures already in the collection, including multiple versions of Batman, Lex Luther, the Joker, Harley Quinn and Bizarro, each doll stands roughly 13 inches tall and offers detailed cloth costuming and many points of articulation.
The latest rendering pays tribute to a character that has been in comics since 1947, often at the side of the mighty Green Arrow.
Figure profile: From the packaging - Born into a family of crime fighters, Dinah Laurel Lance followed in her famous mother’s footsteps to become one of the most integral members of the Justice League of America and also Birds of Prey superhero teams.
Accessories: Miss Lance has 28 points of articulation and is dressed for heroic action in her traditional costume. Her garb includes a black pleather bolero-style jacket, high-heeled boots, fishnet stockings, choker and bustier.
Owners also get an interchangeable head sculpt of her in mid Canary Cry, a removable mask for each head, a pair of opened hands to swap with the clenched fists and a plastic display base.
The overall design most resembles actress Scarlett Johansson posing for a modern interpretation of the Golden Age Black Canary, mixing elements from artists Alex Ross, Jim Lee and Carmine Infantino.
Read all about it: DC Comics offers plenty of opportunity to read about the sultry heroine’s exploits. Not only is Black Canary a regular in the monthly series Birds of Prey ($2.99 each), but she also stars with Green Arrow in their own series ($2.99 each).
What’s it worth: The head sculpts are fantastic and highlight a beautiful woman, even when she’s screaming. However, this is a $90 investment, and collectors won’t appreciate leg joints that awkwardly show through her stockings and masks that often fall off.
Even so, she looks very impressive standing next to DC Direct’s Green Arrow figure ($89.99).
Sideshow Collectibles continues its assault on collectors’ wallets with its Star Wars: Order of the Jedi series of 12-inch dolls. The latest addition re-creates one of the leading commanders of the Clone Wars, Ben Kenobi. The noble knight is ready to stand next to others in the Sideshow line, including Mace Windu, Anakin Skywalker, Ki Adi Mundi, Aayla Secura, Kit Fisto, Plo Koon and Qui Gon Jinn.
Figure profile: From the packaging - The embodiment of Jedi ideals, Obi-Wan Kenobi is both wise and strong. His patience and keen powers of observation have served him well as one of the Jedi Order’s most masterful negotiators. These qualities are matched in measure by his swiftness and skill with a light saber, making him Master Yoda’s first choice for many unconventional missions. His successes in the Outer Rim campaign have earned him a seat among their number by the final days of the Clone Wars.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- ZADZOOKS: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze review
- ZADZOOKS: The Last of Us: Left Behind review
- ZADZOOKS: The Lego Movie Videogame review
- Zadzooks: Justice League: War review (Blu-ray)
- ZADZOOKS: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII review
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again