- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
JOHANSON: Obama, the wolf in sheep’s garb
It never ceases to amaze me how readily undecided voters - and moderates in both parties - are so willing to be swayed by personalities, by talking points, by 30-second ads, by last-minute program inducements (like Democrats promising to reduce taxes), and by their own knee-jerk reactions to imminent crises, rather than to their core underlying principles and beliefs.
This election is not a choice between “personalities.” And it should not be determined by perceived differences in style, age, attractiveness or on whether it’s “time” for us to show the world we’re willing to put a black man in the White House.
Unlike in the past, when candidates differed little on substance, but significantly on approach, we’re now at a point when our two candidates have seismically different views of America.
On the one hand, Barack Obama is a true wolf in sheep’s clothing. On the outside, he’s nice, pleasant, handsome, well-spoken, has cute little kids, dresses well, looks like someone we would all like to know. But underneath, he resembles an anti-American Marxist who believes the following:
— Democrats have the answer to the current economic crisis. (Have Democrats ever had the answer to any economic crisis? The very Fannie Mae leaders who took $90-plus million in personal bonuses over the last few years - while causing the subprime mortgage crisis - have advised Mr. Obama’s team.)
— Murdering innocent babies - through abortion - is an inalienable “right.” (I think Adolf Hitler supported this same position.)That marriage should be redefined to include homosexual relationships. (Inner-city poverty rates correlate with no father in the home. Imagine what it will be with no mother in the home.)
— Government knows - better than you do - how to spend your money. (Just compare the lines and personalities at the Post Office and the DMV with those at Wendy’s.)
— It’s more important to protect “wetlands” than it is to protect your family and America’s industrial might.
— “Global warming” is a bigger threat than crime, drugs, pornography, unwed mothers and immorality at all levels.
— Noncitizens - including millions of illegal immigrants - should be allowed to vote in our elections. (You can be sure France, Russia or Cuba would never allow noncitizens to vote in their elections. And would you expect to be allowed to vote if you entered Britain illegally?)
— We torture our prisoners of war but our enemies don’t. (We don’t torture our prisoners, unless you consider playing profanity-laced rap music really loud to be torture; and making enemy combatants wear underwear on their heads is merely how some college-age frat boys normally behave.)
— The United Nations is a better form of government than our own. (And we should even care what the opinions are among the 75 percent of U.N. member-countries who do not have democratically-elected governments … and are smaller than some of our national parks.)
— We should elect Barack Obama because he’s the first black man to run as nominee of a major party. (But that it would be ignorant and indefensible for anyone to support Sarah Palin because she’s the first Republican woman to run, considering her position on the issues).
— Appeasement to our enemies is a winnable foreign policy.
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again