- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
JOHANSON: Obama, the wolf in sheep’s garb
Question of the Day
It never ceases to amaze me how readily undecided voters - and moderates in both parties - are so willing to be swayed by personalities, by talking points, by 30-second ads, by last-minute program inducements (like Democrats promising to reduce taxes), and by their own knee-jerk reactions to imminent crises, rather than to their core underlying principles and beliefs.
This election is not a choice between “personalities.” And it should not be determined by perceived differences in style, age, attractiveness or on whether it’s “time” for us to show the world we’re willing to put a black man in the White House.
Unlike in the past, when candidates differed little on substance, but significantly on approach, we’re now at a point when our two candidates have seismically different views of America.
On the one hand, Barack Obama is a true wolf in sheep’s clothing. On the outside, he’s nice, pleasant, handsome, well-spoken, has cute little kids, dresses well, looks like someone we would all like to know. But underneath, he resembles an anti-American Marxist who believes the following:
— Democrats have the answer to the current economic crisis. (Have Democrats ever had the answer to any economic crisis? The very Fannie Mae leaders who took $90-plus million in personal bonuses over the last few years - while causing the subprime mortgage crisis - have advised Mr. Obama’s team.)
— Murdering innocent babies - through abortion - is an inalienable “right.” (I think Adolf Hitler supported this same position.)That marriage should be redefined to include homosexual relationships. (Inner-city poverty rates correlate with no father in the home. Imagine what it will be with no mother in the home.)
— Government knows - better than you do - how to spend your money. (Just compare the lines and personalities at the Post Office and the DMV with those at Wendy’s.)
— It’s more important to protect “wetlands” than it is to protect your family and America’s industrial might.
— “Global warming” is a bigger threat than crime, drugs, pornography, unwed mothers and immorality at all levels.
— Noncitizens - including millions of illegal immigrants - should be allowed to vote in our elections. (You can be sure France, Russia or Cuba would never allow noncitizens to vote in their elections. And would you expect to be allowed to vote if you entered Britain illegally?)
— We torture our prisoners of war but our enemies don’t. (We don’t torture our prisoners, unless you consider playing profanity-laced rap music really loud to be torture; and making enemy combatants wear underwear on their heads is merely how some college-age frat boys normally behave.)
— The United Nations is a better form of government than our own. (And we should even care what the opinions are among the 75 percent of U.N. member-countries who do not have democratically-elected governments … and are smaller than some of our national parks.)
— We should elect Barack Obama because he’s the first black man to run as nominee of a major party. (But that it would be ignorant and indefensible for anyone to support Sarah Palin because she’s the first Republican woman to run, considering her position on the issues).
— Appeasement to our enemies is a winnable foreign policy.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq