SUNDAY'S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Football is the typical Sunday fare, but it's still October, and the World Series is far from over. Rays at Phillies, 8 p.m., Chs. 5, 45
ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM “ AN EXCERPT FROM REDSKINS 360
Greetings from Detroit, where it's a crisp 50 degrees and overcast. My quarters are on the 58th floor of a downtown hotel, and I have a great view ... of Caesars Windsor across the river. Lake Huron (I think) is to the north.
The Redskins confirmed that defensive end Jason Taylor made the trip here but remains questionable. The team revealed Friday that Taylor will have what Jim Zorn called a “minor procedure” on the balky left calf that kept him out of the wins in Dallas and Philadelphia.
Some thoughts about the Taylor situation.
There is no such thing as a “minor procedure” when it comes after an emergency surgery. This is a big injury issue.
Don't expect Taylor to be placed on injured reserve any time soon. If the Redskins are willing to wait for Malcolm Kelly's knee to heal, they are more than willing to wait as long as possible for Taylor's calf to heal.
- Ryan O'Halloran
TWT FIVE “ SPORTS GEEK EVENTS
There are mainstream sports events like the Super Bowl, the Masters and the Kentucky Derby. And then there are other evens that mean more to the fanatical fans of certain sports. Here's a look at some of those:
1. Breeders' Cup - The Triple Crown attracts casual fans, but the multitude of elite races at the Breeders' Cup make it the best weekend for hardcore handicappers.
2. Ryder Cup - The Masters is for the rest of the country. The Ryder Cup is for the tee box junkies.
3. Drafts (baseball and hockey) - Despite the NFL making its draft an event, crazy baseball and hockey fans get geared up for prospects who won't be ready for three to four years.
4. NHL skills competition - All-Star Game? Sure, it's nice. But the skills competition gives fans a chance to see players show off in a different context.
5. Davis Cup - Every Cup not named “Stanley” or whatever NASCAR calls its title year-to-year probably could be on this list. It's tennis, if you care to know.