- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
Question of the Day
Mrs. Whitman has $19 million banked 10 months before the June 2010 Republican primary. That’s after spending $6 million in the past six months.
Most of the money came from Mrs. Whitman herself. About $7 million came from other contributors.
Mrs. Whitman’s Republican rival and fellow technology billionaire, state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, said in campaign reports filed Friday that he ended the June 30 filing period with $3.7 million in cash after raising $4.5 million.
Mr. Poizner has given $4.2 million to his campaign.
Sailor commits suicide in brig
SAN DIEGO — The Navy says a sailor charged with the murder of a seaman has committed suicide in the brig at Camp Pendleton.
A Navy news release said Petty Officer Jonathan Campos, of Lancaster, was found unresponsive in his cell Friday afternoon. He was rushed to the base hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Officials said the apparent cause of death was asphyxiation.
The release said Petty Officer Campos had last been checked early Friday afternoon.
Petty Officer Campos was charged with murder and other offenses in the June 30 fatal shooting of August Provost, a 29-year-old seaman from Houston who was shot several times in the sentry station at Camp Pendleton.
Officials said the two enlisted men were assigned to Assault Craft Unit 5.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq