- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Mrs. Whitman has $19 million banked 10 months before the June 2010 Republican primary. That’s after spending $6 million in the past six months.
Most of the money came from Mrs. Whitman herself. About $7 million came from other contributors.
Mrs. Whitman’s Republican rival and fellow technology billionaire, state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, said in campaign reports filed Friday that he ended the June 30 filing period with $3.7 million in cash after raising $4.5 million.
Mr. Poizner has given $4.2 million to his campaign.
Sailor commits suicide in brig
SAN DIEGO — The Navy says a sailor charged with the murder of a seaman has committed suicide in the brig at Camp Pendleton.
A Navy news release said Petty Officer Jonathan Campos, of Lancaster, was found unresponsive in his cell Friday afternoon. He was rushed to the base hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Officials said the apparent cause of death was asphyxiation.
The release said Petty Officer Campos had last been checked early Friday afternoon.
Petty Officer Campos was charged with murder and other offenses in the June 30 fatal shooting of August Provost, a 29-year-old seaman from Houston who was shot several times in the sentry station at Camp Pendleton.
Officials said the two enlisted men were assigned to Assault Craft Unit 5.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.