- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
Bad times, good deals
Question of the Day
Looking to cut costs by making things last? In that case, www.greenerchoices.org, a sister to the Consumer Reports site, might just be your go-to Web site. It provides an extensive tip sheet on this very topic.
Here are some of the highlights:
• Clothing -- Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible. Line-dry if you can. Consider a front loader for your next washing machine. They are not only less punishing on clothes but also more energy-efficient.
• Laptop computers -- Use them on a hard surface; a soft surface decreases air flow and can cause overheating.
• Hardwood floors -- Wipe up spills immediately and dust, mop or vacuum at least weekly to keep dirt and grit from scratching the finish.
For more ideas, visit www.greenerchoices.org/products.cfm?product=cutcost&pcat=homegarden
- Gabriella Boston
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world