- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Ovechkin injures knee in win over Hurricanes
Backstrom scored on his team’s second shot of the game - a one-timer on a beautiful pass from Ovechkin at 6:11 of the first. It was Backstrom’s first goal in 13 games.
Eric Fehr pushed the Caps in front late in the opening period. Moved to the top line after Ovechkin’s injury/ejection, Backstrom fed him with a perfect pass on a two-on-one for his seventh of the season.
Fehr had two goals Saturday night in Montreal and now has six goals and 10 points in his past 11 games since returning from a rib injury three weeks ago.
“[Backstrom] made the play to the middle, and I just did the easier part and just tapped it in,” Fehr said. “We had a whole bunch of guys stepping up tonight.”
Backstrom added his second of the night with the lone goal of the middle period. Carolina goaltender Michael Leighton slid way out of position to the right of his net, and Backstrom collected the puck after it was deflected before depositing a spin-o-rama backhanded shot into the empty net at 14:53.
Theodore made several highlight-caliber saves in this contest, including a sliding glove save on Jussi Jokinen in the second period and a glove stab on Eric Staal in the waning moments when the Hurricanes had a six-on-four situation.
“It is a long year and you’ve got to get both [goalies] going,” Theodore said. “I think [Semyon Varlamov] and I have done a good job of when one is not as sharp the other has been there to pick it up.”
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.