- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Having a baby in the fertility maze
Still, fertility consultants say they are providing a valuable service. Ms. Berkson, founder of Lotus Blossom Consulting, says she has helped produce 192 pregnancies among her hundreds of clients in the past five years. Clients pay several thousand dollars - prices vary depending on services - for Ms. Berkson’s expertise.
“I think the most important asset is my advocacy piece,” says Ms. Berkson, whose office is in Chicago. She specializes in egg-donation cycles. By using a consultant, a couple can make the pool of potential donors much wider. That cuts down waiting time while increasing the likelihood of a couple getting the requested specifics in the donor’s genetic attributes. Ms. Berkson also says she can help patients maximize dollars by reviewing insurance coverage and drug benefits.
Kathy says Ms. Berkson has done all of that.
“Mindy is like a giant encyclopedia of things you need to know about the process,” said Kathy, who has identified an out-of-state clinic, a donor and surrogate and will start the conception process in February. “She has helped me save money by suggesting different insurance options. She found me an acupuncturist and an attorney. She saved me time - how do you weed out what is right and not just by going on the Internet?”
About the Author
Karen Goldberg Goff has been a reporter at The Washington Times since 1992. She currently writes feature-length stories on a variety of topics, including family issues, pop culture, health, food and technology. Follow Karen on Twitter.
- Sweet smell of success
- Overbooked parents see little respite over holidays
- Experts debunk December suicide myth
- Having a baby in the fertility maze
- Lovelace's books remain relevant for today's girls
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.