Justice Department restrains lawyers in Panther probe
The commission, in a 5-2 vote, issued the subpoenas in an effort to determine how the civil complaint against the New Black Panther Party had been handled, including an explanation of why the complaint was dismissed and why there has been a “dearth of cooperation” from the department in response to six months of letters by the commission seeking information on the case.
In addition, the commission seeks to review copies of all e-mails or memos sent to or received by political appointees at the Justice Department concerning the case and any reports or documents about the case prepared by the career attorneys for an ongoing internal review by the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).
In August, Mary Patrice Brown, acting OPR counsel, said she had “initiated an inquiry into the matter.”
Records show that the Justice Department attorneys, led by Christopher Coates, chief of the voting rights section, decided as early as Dec. 22, 2008, to seek charges against the New Black Panther Party and three of its members.
The decision to dismiss the complaint came after a delay in the case was ordered by then-Acting Assistant Attorney General Loretta King after an April 2009 meeting with Associate Attorney General Thomas J. Perrelli, the department’s No. 3 political appointee, according to interviews with lawyers familiar with the case.
At the time, the career attorneys had recommended that the department seek sanctions against the defendants because the government had already won a default judgment in the case. The attorneys were in the final stages of completing that work when they were told to seek the delay, according to federal records and interviews with the same lawyers familiar with the case.
Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler has said the department has an “ongoing obligation” to be sure the claims it makes are supported by the facts and the law. She said that after a “thorough review” of the New Black Panther Party complaint, top career attorneys in the Civil Rights Division determined the “facts and the law did not support pursuing the claims against three of the defendants” in the New Black Panther Party case.
Two senior House Republicans have not been convinced and continue to demand that they be allowed to speak directly with the career attorneys who brought the complaint.
Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the ranking Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said the department’s refusal to provide Congress with an explanation of the dismissal “only further raises concerns that political favoritism played a role in this case.” Rep. Frank R. Wolf of Virginia, a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, said he was “deeply troubled by this questionable dismissal of an important voter-intimidation case in Philadelphia.”
Filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, the complaint said two New Black Panther Party members in black berets, black combat boots, black shirts and black jackets with military insignias intimidated voters with racial insults, slurs and a nightstick. A third party member was accused of directing and endorsing their behavior.
The incident was captured on videotape and gained national attention after it was shown on YouTube.
Accused were the party; its chairman, Malik Zulu Shabazz, a D.C. lawyer; Minister King Samir Shabazz, head of the Philadelphia chapter who was accused of wielding the nightstick; and Jerry Jackson, a Philadelphia party member.
Justice later sought an injunction against Mr. Samir Shabazz, who carried the nightstick, barring him from displaying weapons at polling places until 2012.
New Black Panther Party members have not returned telephone calls and e-mails seeking information on the case, but Mr. Malik Shabazz told the Associated Press last week that the decision to drop the complaint was correct. He called the resulting criticism a “political witch hunt” by the Republicans to target Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.