Redskins’ Campbell remains in flux

Jason Campbell will make his 52nd start when the Washington Redskins wrap up their season at San Diego on Sunday.

But as a regime change remains imminent, the question of where Campbell makes his 53rd start - with the Redskins or for another team - remains a question mark.

“Whatever happens is going to happen, and I’ll be ready for any situation, whether it’s here or someplace else,” he said Wednesday at Redskin Park. “My first and foremost thing is using the offseason to get healthy.”

Campbell will be a restricted free agent this offseason if there is no salary cap. He has posted career highs in passing yards (3,337), touchdowns (18), interceptions (15) and completion percentage (64.3).

Especially in recent weeks, Campbell has looked beaten down, a product of taking 41 sacks and getting pounded into the turf countless more times.

“I’m just pretty much sore all over,” he said. “It’s a lot of hits lately, but at the same time, I’m just trying to keep pushing forward and get through this last week.”

Coach Jim Zorn said Campbell continues to improve but stopped short of saying he’s a franchise quarterback.

“A lot of people want to label every quarterback - ‘He has to be a franchise player,’ ” Zorn said. “I don’t know if that’s where he’s at. I don’t think it is. But he just continues to improve as a starting quarterback in this league.”

Zorn said he believes Campbell can excel in the right situation.

“The way he works, his grit, his determination - he can,” Zorn said. “But in every instance, the quarterbacks all have help from other guys. So that remains to be seen.”

Fletcher hopeful

Middle linebacker London Fletcher again was overlooked for the Pro Bowl when the rosters were announced Tuesday. But as a first alternate, he hasn’t given up on the possibility of playing in the Jan. 31 game.

“I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily disappointed - if you get caught up in what you don’t have, then you lose sight of what you do have,” he said. “I’m still considered one of the top middle linebackers in the game.”

San Francisco’s Patrick Willis and New Orleans’ Jonathan Vilma were chosen. If the Saints reach the Super Bowl, Fletcher would replace Vilma in the Pro Bowl.

“I’m a huge New Orleans fan,” Fletcher said. “I sent [Saints defensive coordinator] Gregg Williams a text: ‘Congratulations Vilma, Go Saints!’ … I don’t care how I get in. They’ll introduce me as Pro Bowl linebacker London Fletcher. You won’t say, ‘He’s a replacement Pro Bowl player.’ ”

Defensive end Andre Carter is a second alternate. His 11 sacks are his most since he had 12.5 with San Francisco in 2002.

“From my experience, the [4-11] record can be a big impact,” Carter said. “And as a team, we controlled that.”

Strongside linebacker Brian Orakpo is the Redskins’ only Pro Bowl player. He credited Fletcher for his instant impact.

“You see Brian, and he’s extremely humble, and you appreciate that,” Fletcher said. “He’s done it the right way. He wants to get better each and every week.”

Two to IR

The Redskins’ injured reserve list now includes 12 players after safety Reed Doughty (ankle) and right guard Mike Williams (toe) were taken off the 53-man roster Wednesday. Signed to the active roster were running back P.J. Hill and cornerback Marcus McCauley.

Doughty was injured during his first career interception Sunday night. Kareem Moore is slated to make his second start in his place. Paul Fanaika, Edwin Williams and Will Montgomery are vying for the right guard position, but Zorn said a decision won’t be made until the weekend.

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (hip), receiver Devin Thomas (ankle) and safety LaRon Landry (mild concussion) did not practice. Landry was sent home because of headaches but is expected to play. Linebacker Rocky McIntosh (back) and receiver Santana Moss (knee) were limited.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus