- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
Capitals falter again but recover for win
Question of the Day
Perrin went to the box, and Washington capitalized at 5:20. Green’s shot trickled behind Lehtonen, and Brooks Laich darted into the crease to sweep it across the line for his 15th goal of the season.
Atlanta got on the board late in the first period after a controversial play. Alex Ovechkin dropped to the ice after he was high-sticked by Thrashers forward Rich Peverley, but the officials didn’t see it. As Ovechkin skated to the bench, he stopped and went after Atlanta’s Marty Reasoner and earned a roughing penalty.
Ilya Kovalchuk one-timed a cross-crease pass from White past Neuvirth 33 seconds after Ovechkin went to the box. It was Kovalchuk’s 20th goal since Jan. 1 - one more than Ovechkin for most in the NHL.
Peverley leveled the score at 2-2 3:56 into the second period when a long breakout pass from Niclas Havelid sprang him for a breakaway.
Note - Viktor Kozlov returned to the lineup after missing nine games with a groin injury. He replaced Michael Nylander, who was a healthy scratch for the fifth time this season.
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world