- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
RAMSTACK: Legal confusion about Illinois seat
Even that issue is mired in legal confusion. The Illinois state charter says it is the “duty” of the secretary of state “to make a register of all appointments by the governor.” A contingency plan drawn up by the Senate leadership says the Senate doorkeeper should block Mr. Burris from entering the chamber during the swearing-in ceremony Tuesday. If he persists, the U.S. Capitol Police would be called.
Members of Congress hope the Illinois legislature will replace Mr. Blagojevich soon with a new governor, who will make an appointment to the Senate free of controversy. Afterward, they plan to develop new rules for handling similar situations in the future.
“The entire issue will be referred to the Rules Committee for further review,” Mr. Manley said.
Meanwhile, with so many legal issues unresolved, no one can be certain whether Mr. Obama’s Senate seat will be filled through a pushing match or an orderly succession.
• Above the Law runs on Mondays. Call Tom Ramstack at 202/636-3180 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again