- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
Obama: ‘No faith justifies’ Fort Hood attack
Question of the Day
After his remarks and the playing of taps, Mr. Obama and first lady Michelle Obama stopped in front of each of the memorials before departing the ceremony. The president placed a commander-in-chief’s coin next to each photo of the fallen.
After the president left, family, friends and colleagues filed slowly past the memorials, many openly weeping.
The president and Mrs. Obama spent time before the speech with families of those killed and with people who were injured during the attack. After his speech, he went to the base hospital to visit wounded people still there.
The ceremony unfolded in a field at the headquarters of the massive post, cordoned off with walls of steel shipping containers. Many soldiers in the crowd listened intently to Mr. Obama’s speech, standing stoically, some with heads bowed.
Sheila Wormuth, whose husband is stationed at Fort Hood, came with her 3-year-old daughter to show their support. While her husband was not at the shooting site, she said, “what happens to my husband’s brothers and sisters happens to us.”
“It means everything to the people that work here. Its the president of the United States,” said Lt. Col. Tommy E. Eberhart.
c This article was based in part on wire service reports.
About the Author
- GOP sees little outreach in health care debate
- Obama nears decision on Afghan strategy
- Obama: 'No faith justifies' Fort Hood attack
- Democrats torn on Afghanistan, women's rights
- Obama: No religious faith justifies Fort Hood shootings
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Ticket me Elmo? NYC mulls law for impersonators
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Government OKs Arab-owned company Gulftainer to operate U.S. cargo port
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world