- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
FedEx not just for the NFL anymore
Question of the Day
“The economics have changed, and universities need to raise money for all of their athletic programs,” he said. “By being able to move the game to a larger venue with a bigger guarantee, that’s gone into their thinking.”
The ability to broaden a school’s recruiting base also plays a role.
“Clearly, there’s some recruiting advantages, and playing in that kind of metropolitan area, that’s a pretty rich recruiting area,” Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly said. “I think it’s pretty, pretty important for us to go in that direction.”
While there are few stadiums as large as FedEx Field, the facility does have some competition. Baltimore’s M&T; Bank Stadium, with a capacity of more than 71,000, has lured the Army-Navy game and lacrosse championships. The new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, with a capacity of over 100,000, is expected to lure major events, and the new stadium for the NFL’s Jets and Giants in East Rutherford, N.J., also will have a capacity above 100,000 when it opens next year.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world