- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
In the Afghan battle space
Though he is young, Mr. Rasooli knows what is needed in this dusty, primitive area. “With irrigation, there are many crops farmers here can grow besides opium, but we must have roads to deliver produce to markets,” he told me. He also knows the Taliban told the people that the Marines would depart after the Aug. 20 elections. They didn’t. Now the Taliban says U.S. troops will leave after Ramadan is over on Sunday.
As I left him, Mr. Rasooli said, “We hope the Marines will stay until we have enough good ANA and ANP here to protect the people; otherwise the Taliban will return and the people will never have any schools, clinics or hope.” It is a prophetic lesson that officials in Kabul and Washington ought to heed. Otherwise, this battle space will once again belong to those who hate America.
Oliver North is the host of “War Stories” on the Fox News Channel, the author of “American Heroes” and the founder and honorary chairman of Freedom Alliance.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Bruce M. Gans
Medicare budget cuts would send recuperating patients to nursing homes
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Depth, distance reduce impact of California quake
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same