- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
First Down: Virginia Tech vs. Miami
Question of the Day
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Miami at Virginia Tech
The Hokies’ last-minute victory over Nebraska last week was huge. Even bigger would be beating the Hurricanes, who have emerged as a dark-horse contender for the BCS title.
Twins at Royals
Minnesota is still within striking distance of Detroit for the NL Central crown. This series against lowly Kansas City could prove helpful, but Cy Young candidate Zack Greinke is slated to start Sunday.
Chiefs at Eagles
Michael Vick is expected to make his debut for Philadelphia, but will he line up behind center? And will Donovan McNabb be healthy enough to play?
Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker are in a battle atop the FedEx Cup standings, but Padraig Harrington could take the $10 million prize by securing his only victory of the year.
TWT FIVE POSSIBLE ROLES FOR MICHAEL VICK ON SUNDAY
1. Quarterback - With Donovan McNabb nursing a fractured rib, Andy Reid could let Vick take most of the snaps and run the offense.
2. Wildcat option - He may not get 30 carries, but the Eagles could line Vick up in the backfield and present the defense with myriad possibilities to prepare for.
3. Receiver - Don’t be surprised if Vick is asked to go out for a pass. He’s probably still faster than many defensive backs.
4. Kick returner - Chances are the Eagles wouldn’t put Vick at risk by having him field kicks, but after some special teams errors last week, they may be willing to try something new.
5. Clipboard holder - After all the buzz, maybe Vick’s there just for moral support.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq