- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
Sherrill finalizes $1.2M, 1-year deal with Braves
Question of the Day
ATLANTA (AP) - Left-hander George Sherrill, who saved 51 games in two seasons with Baltimore before struggling last season with the Dodgers, has finalized a $1.2 million, one-year contract with the Atlanta Braves.
Sherrill's deal was announced Friday after he passed a physical in Atlanta.
The 33-year-old joins Scott Linebrink, acquired from the White Sox, as new veterans in the bullpen. Closer Billy Wagner retired and Takashi Saito was not re-signed. Jonny Venters and Eric O'Flaherty are the other left-handers in Atlanta's bullpen.
Sherrill was 2-2 with a 6.69 ERA with the Dodgers last season. He held left-handers to a .192 batting average.
He was an All-Star with Baltimore in 2008, when he had 31 saves.
Sherill can earn an additional $200,000 in performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 60, 65, 70 and 75 games.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Driver who killed teen on bike sues family for $1.3 million
- Bill Maher blames Hamas for Gaza violence: 'Do you really expect the Israelis not to retaliate?'
- HUMPHRIES: 'Hes the Worst President in 70 Years'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq