- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
The decision was disclosed privately a week after the announcement of the indictments of 17 people in a massive Holocaust fraud. It’s a boost for the Claims Conference, some of whose employees were charged in the purported $42 million scheme.
This is the first Holocaust restitution decision Germany has made since the fraud prosecution became public.
Unruly dog forces pilot to land
PITTSBURGH | A dog accompanying a New Jersey woman on a US Airways flight to Phoenix became agitated and bit a passenger and a flight attendant Monday, forcing the pilot to make an unexpected stop in Pittsburgh.
The 12-pound Manchester terrier named Mandy was riding in an approved carrier on Flight 522 from Newark, N.J., airline and local authorities said. The dog’s owner was one of 122 passengers and five crew members aboard.
The dog bit a passenger who had tried to calm it and then broke out of its cage, officials said. The animal then ran up the plane’s aisle and bit a flight attendant who tried to grab it.
The bites were not severe, but the pilot landed the plane as a precaution, US Airways spokesman Todd Lehmacher said.
The flight resumed without the woman, 89, and her dog, and landed in Phoenix hours later. The woman spoke with authorities in Pittsburgh before boarding a different flight to Phoenix with her dog.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again