- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
SIMMONS: Sagging pants not cool, fool
Question of the Day
Hope and change. There’s a lot of the former making the rounds and too little of the latter. But a glimmer of what can be is in the forecast.Did America devolve from radical feminism to misogynistic lyrics and videos to misandry?
Boys and men are wearing their pants on the ground, and girls and women are not challenging them.
That’s why I said glimmer. We’ve seen and heard activists who take on a cultural issue but seem to fade away or be assailed in the media. Tipper Gore crusaded for warning labels on records, C. Delores Tucker railed against gangsta rap, and Bill Cosby warned us to get a grip on wayward youths. Now there is a not-so-young new kid on the block.
His message is that something’s terribly awry when we fail to tell boys and young men to buckle up.
Watching them walk around day in and out with their pants on the ground speaks volumes about the decline in American culture, and that won’t change unless we recommit ourselves to change.
A man named Larry Platt appears to have recommitted himself, and he is an inspiration. His platform was an audition on the hugely popular “American Idol.” His song is “Pants on the Ground.”
“Pants on the ground,
“Pants on the ground,
“Lookin’ like a fool with your pants on the ground!
“With the gold in your mouth,
“Hat turned sideways,
“Pants hit the ground,
“Call yourself a cool cat,
“Lookin’ like a fool,
“Walkin’ downtown with your pants on the ground!
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: What happened in Vegas can't stay in Vegas
- SIMMONS: Tell Joe Biden and the NAACP that politics aren't black and white
- SIMMONS: Youthful sounds of music stirring in Prince George's County
- 'No cellphone' sidewalk pops up in D.C.
- SIMMONS: Archie Andrews saves the gay
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq