- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of Maryland at College Park.
An occasional panelist on Roland Martin's “Washington Watch” and Denise Rolark Barnes' “Let's Talk” weekly news analysis cable-TV programs, Mrs. Simmons has also appeared on BET's “Lead Story,” “Real Time with Bill Maher” and Mr. Maher's “Politically Incorrect,” “America's Black Forum,” Fox News' “The O'Reilly Factor,” “The Right Side with Armstrong Williams,” C-SPAN's “Washington Journal,” and “This is America with Dennis Wholey.” She also has been a guest radio commentator on NPR, WAMU, WMAL and WOL.
Mrs. Simmons attended the University of the District of Columbia and Trinity College. She and her husband, who live in Washington, have four children and two grandchildren. Contact Mrs. Simmons at email@example.com.
Articles by Deborah Simmons
Although he probably was unaware, President Obama conjured up a neatly wrapped birthday gift for Marion Barry the other day. Published March 6, 2014
- SIMMONS: Obama's 'Brother's Keeper' a big-government initiative that lacks faith
Published February 27, 2014
- SIMMONS: Andy Shallal a CEO suited for the District
Published February 24, 2014
- SIMMONS: It's high time someone made sense on D.C. pot plan
Published February 20, 2014
- SIMMONS: D.C. weighs job-killing per-employee 'service fee'
Published February 17, 2014
- SIMMONS: Big Brother shouldn't be our brother's keeper
Published February 13, 2014
- SIMMONS: Women set themselves apart in D.C. mayor's race
Published February 10, 2014
- SIMMONS: Time for D.C. libraries to start a new chapter
Published February 6, 2014
- SIMMONS: Norton playing politics in debate on school choice
Published February 3, 2014
- SIMMONS: Heroin Happy Meals point to larger problem
Published January 30, 2014