- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
Siemens decides to end deals with Iran
Europe's largest engineering conglomerate announced this week that it would be forgoing new business with Iran.
"Some time ago, we reduced our business activities with customers in Iran," Peter Loescher, chief executive of Siemens, said in response to questions at the company's annual shareholder meeting in Munich on Tuesday.
Alexander Becker, a spokesman for the company, confirmed the decision to Agence France-Presse on Wednesday: "The board has decided not to conclude new contracts with commercial partners in Iran."
He added that a decision had already been taken to this effect within the company in October.
Siemens came under scrutiny last spring after The Washington Times reported that the company, in a joint venture with the Finnish cell-phone maker Nokia, had sold Iran a high-tech surveillance system known as a monitoring center that is capable of recording e-mails and cell-phone calls of dissidents.
The Nokia-Siemens Network had sold the monitoring-center portion of that business to another German concern in February.
Michael Spaney, a spokesman for Stop the Bomb, a German advocacy group that seeks to publicize German trade with the Islamic Republic, greeted the announcement with some skepticism.
"My assessment is that we are happy Siemens will not make new deals," Mr. Spaney said. "We are not so happy this will only start in mid-2010. We do not know what new deals they can make at that time anyway."
Mr. Spaney said his group is also skeptical about the announcement because Siemens is known to send goods through third countries. "They were sending industrial computers via China, and Siemens said they did not know about the ultimate end user," he said.
The company also had come under fire in the United States. It nearly lost a bid to build train cars for a new rail system in Los Angeles county after the local Iranian and Jewish communities protested the prospect of Siemens winning the contract. The bidding process ended up being delayed.
Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center and one of the organizers against Siemens, said in a statement: "If this also means that Siemens will also desist from any future third-party deals with Iran, we will drop our opposition against Siemens bids for future projects in California and elsewhere in the U.S."
A spokeswoman for Siemens America Group declined to comment.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes