- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
U.S., South Korea plan ‘show of force’ exercises against North Korea
Naval, air exercises a message to North
Question of the Day
The admiral in charge of U.S. forces in the Pacific said Tuesday that U.S. and South Korean naval and air forces will conduct large-scale exercises near North Korea in a “show of force” against the communist state for its sinking of a South Korean warship in March.
The aircraft-carrier strike group of warships led by the USS George Washington will take part in exercises in the Sea of Japan, east of the Korean Peninsula, in war games that will be the largest of their kind in recent years.
“It is the first show-of-force exercise post-provocation that’s been conducted by the [Republic of Korea] and U.S. for many years,” said Adm. Robert F. Willard, the Pacific Command leader. “We fully expect that this will send a strong signal to Pyongyang and to Kim Jong-il regarding the provocation that the Cheonan represented.”
The Cheonan is the South Korean coast ship that exploded and sank in March, killing 46 South Korean sailors. An international investigation determined that a North Korean submarine had sunk the ship with a torpedo, but North Korea has denied any responsibility in the incident.
The exercises will last several days.
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said in a joint statement with his South Korean counterpart that the exercises are “defensive” and “designed to send a clear message to North Korea that its aggressive behavior must stop.”
In addition to the carrier strike group, a number of U.S. destroyers based from the Navy’s 7th Fleet will take part, along with destroyers, frigates and some patrol craft from the South Korean navy.
Air forces include squadrons from the 7th Air Force and the South Korean air forces, including four top-of-the-line F-22s.
In all, more than 100 aircraft will take part, and an air-defense exercise will be included with simulated strikes and naval ship-passing maneuvers.
Asked how the exercises could deter North Korea, a senior Defense official said: “Well, not blowing up and attacking ROK naval vessels would be a good start, but there’s a whole range of misbehavior that we can catalog, including their proliferation activities, missile activities, the activities that previously landed them on the state-sponsors-of-terrorism list and which we’re continuing to keep a careful eye on.”
North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency stated on Monday that the exercises should be canceled, calling them “a very dangerous and reckless action and a grave military provocation.”
Adm. Willard said the Cheonan sinking was one in a series of provocations by the North Koreans. Others included several assassination attempts against South Korean presidents, including one that killed the first lady; attacks on South Korean government ministers; the blowing up of an airliner; ballistic missile launches and two nuclear tests.
“So we’re very much aiming to put a stop to that,” he said.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Bill Gertz is a national security columnist for The Washington Times and senior editor at The Washington Free Beacon (www.freebeacon.com). He has been with The Times since 1985.
He is the author of six books, four of them national best-sellers. His latest book, “The Failure Factory,” on government bureaucracy and national security, was published in September 2008.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- N. Korean news agency: Kim Jong Un's uncle executed
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Chef Mary Moran discusses the food we eat, where it comes from and what it does for us.
An informed and often humorous take on the world of advertising, public relations and social media. 100% Pure. Not from concentrate.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow