- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
U.S., South Korea plan ‘show of force’ exercises against North Korea
Naval, air exercises a message to North
Question of the Day
The admiral in charge of U.S. forces in the Pacific said Tuesday that U.S. and South Korean naval and air forces will conduct large-scale exercises near North Korea in a "show of force" against the communist state for its sinking of a South Korean warship in March.
The aircraft-carrier strike group of warships led by the USS George Washington will take part in exercises in the Sea of Japan, east of the Korean Peninsula, in war games that will be the largest of their kind in recent years.
"It is the first show-of-force exercise post-provocation that's been conducted by the [Republic of Korea] and U.S. for many years," said Adm. Robert F. Willard, the Pacific Command leader. "We fully expect that this will send a strong signal to Pyongyang and to Kim Jong-il regarding the provocation that the Cheonan represented."
The Cheonan is the South Korean coast ship that exploded and sank in March, killing 46 South Korean sailors. An international investigation determined that a North Korean submarine had sunk the ship with a torpedo, but North Korea has denied any responsibility in the incident.
Adm. Willard told reporters that the goal of the exercises, which will begin after meetings between U.S. and South Korean officials end Thursday, is "to deter North Korea from future provocations."
The exercises will last several days.
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said in a joint statement with his South Korean counterpart that the exercises are "defensive" and "designed to send a clear message to North Korea that its aggressive behavior must stop."
In addition to the carrier strike group, a number of U.S. destroyers based from the Navy's 7th Fleet will take part, along with destroyers, frigates and some patrol craft from the South Korean navy.
Air forces include squadrons from the 7th Air Force and the South Korean air forces, including four top-of-the-line F-22s.
In all, more than 100 aircraft will take part, and an air-defense exercise will be included with simulated strikes and naval ship-passing maneuvers.
Asked how the exercises could deter North Korea, a senior Defense official said: "Well, not blowing up and attacking ROK naval vessels would be a good start, but there's a whole range of misbehavior that we can catalog, including their proliferation activities, missile activities, the activities that previously landed them on the state-sponsors-of-terrorism list and which we're continuing to keep a careful eye on."
North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency stated on Monday that the exercises should be canceled, calling them "a very dangerous and reckless action and a grave military provocation."
Adm. Willard said the Cheonan sinking was one in a series of provocations by the North Koreans. Others included several assassination attempts against South Korean presidents, including one that killed the first lady; attacks on South Korean government ministers; the blowing up of an airliner; ballistic missile launches and two nuclear tests.
"So we're very much aiming to put a stop to that," he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Bill Gertz is a national security columnist for The Washington Times and senior editor at The Washington Free Beacon (www.freebeacon.com). He has been with The Times since 1985.
He is the author of six books, four of them national best-sellers. His latest book, “The Failure Factory,” on government bureaucracy and national security, was published in September 2008.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world