- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
1 person dead in LA building explosion
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An apparent natural gas explosion at a welding shop Friday collapsed part of the building and hurled two workers into the street, killing one and leaving the other in critical condition, fire officials said.
The two-story wooden building in south Los Angeles was shaken by the violent explosion at about 6:15 a.m. that turned the front of the structure into matchsticks. The building caught fire, but about 100 firefighters doused the blaze in about 25 minutes, fire spokesman Eric Scott said.
Two people working in the building were thrown into the street and one was wedged under a car and had to be freed by firefighters, Scott said.
One person was hospitalized in critical condition and there were unconfirmed reports that a third person might be trapped in the building, Scott said.
Firefighters were making sure the wreckage was safe before a rescue team was brought in with dogs to search, Scott said.
"They are shoring up any portions of the building that may be unsecured, ensuring that the beams aren't going to fall further," Scott said.
Natural gas apparently sparked the blast but the building also contained flammable oxygen and acetylene, he said.
About the Author
- NHL returns to the bargaining table
- Putin defends rally crackdown, denies holding political prisoners
- 1 person dead in LA building explosion
- Wildfire explodes in rural hills near Los Angeles
- Two wildfires burn dozens of homes
Latest Blog Entries
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'Economic Freedom Zones' for Detroit
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!