- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Canadian protest shuts down Coulter
Conservative commentator Ann Coulter, on a speaking tour of Canada this week addressing political correctness and freedom of speech, found herself silenced Tuesday when organizers canceled a speech at the University of Ottawa after deciding it was too risky to stage the event.
Miss Coulter’s Tuesday speech — the second of three planned across the country — was called off after raucous demonstrations involving about 2,000 people outside the speaking hall and an evacuation of the University of Ottawa building when someone triggered a fire alarm. The event was cancelled shortly after 8 p.m. — before Miss Coulter even had a chance to speak.
“It’s a public-safety issue,” Sgt. Dan Beauchamp told reporters in Ottawa.
When reached Tuesday night by The Washington Times, Miss Coulter said “this has never happened before” in all her years of public speaking, which have included frequent pickets and a couple of attempted pie attacks.
But she came out swinging, denouncing the University of Ottawa as a “bush league” institution.
“I go to the best schools, Harvard, the Ivy League and those kids are too intellectually proud” to threaten speakers. At the University of Ottawa, “their IQ points-to-teeth ratio must be about 1-to-1,” she said.
The outspoken Miss Coulter had already sparked controversy on the tour when she all but dared Canadian authorities to try to muffle her under the nation’s anti-hate codes, which have been criticized on both sides of the border as stifling free thought and free speech, particularly from conservatives. Her tour is formally titled Political Correctness, Media Bias and Freedom of Speech.
Before Miss Coulter’s arrival in Canada, Francois Houle, the University of Ottawa’s provost and academic vice president, sent her a letter reminding her of Canada’s “reasonable limits on freedom of expression,” and the possibility of “criminal charges,” an action Miss Coulter openly criticized.
“I hope they do try to prosecute me,” Miss Coulter told host Michael Coren on his self-named TV show on the family-oriented CTS network.
After the cancellation, Miss Coulter blamed Mr. Houle, saying “I’ve been scheduled to give three speeches in Canada. And guess which one I couldn’t? The same one where the university sends me a warning. I think we have an excellent hate-crimes case” against the provost, whose name she said “in English, Frank A-Hole.”
Even before Tuesday’s events, the conservative firebrand diva had tried to turn the tables on Mr. Houle, accusing him of prejudice and fomenting hate against conservatives.
“The provost simply believes and is publicizing his belief that conservatives are more likely to commit hate crimes in their speeches. Not only does this promote hatred against conservatives, but it promotes violence against conservatives,” she told the Ottawa Citizen newspaper.
She gave her first speech Monday, at the University of Western Ontario in London, and gave what Mr. Coren called a “standard Ann” speech criticizing liberals, gay-rights activists, the mainstream media and the Obama administration.
At the speech, a Muslim girl took offense to what she called Miss Coulter’s suggestion that if Muslims can’t fly on planes because of anti-terrorist profiling, that she could take a camel. Fatima Al-Dhaher told Canadian media that she felt she had been stabbed in the heart, which Mr. Coren found to be an overreaction.
“The people who actually stab you are those Muslims who throw acid in women’s faces if they do not cover their heads, who deny them basic health care and education, who forcibly circumcise them, who make them walk behind men and cover themselves, who murder their daughters if they date non-Muslims, who blow up aircraft and schools, who decapitate young Christian Indonesian girls on the way to class,” Mr. Coren wrote in his blog, Coren’s Comment.
About the Author
- At World Youth Day, Pope Francis brings hope to refill pews
- Democratic lawmaker hits justice as 'Uncle Thomas'
- Boston Bruins' NHL game, Celtics' NBA contest cancelled in blast aftermath
- Carter statement lauds Chavez
- A reluctant leader, Pope Benedict leaves legacy of ‘new evangelization’
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- KNIGHT: Can the ACLU force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions?
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!