- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
Met opera adds 300 theaters to its HD broadcasts
Question of the Day
“We need the money to survive, but this is also an artistic success,” Gelb noted. “We are a vital artistic organization not prepared to slow down at a time when artistic institutions need more than ever to show creativity and take steps forward.”
The telecasts are fueling a global audience as far away as a tiny theater in Norway’s Arctic Circle, Gelb said.
In addition to “Das Rheingold” and Wagner’s “Die Walkuere,” four other new productions will be telecast _ Modest Mussorgsky’s “Boris Godunov”; Giuseppe Verdi’s “Don Carlo”; John Adams’ “Nixon in China,” directed by the adventurous Peter Sellars; and Broadway director Bartlett Sher’s production of Gioachino Rossini’s “Le Comte Ory.” There are two revivals _ Gaetano Donizetti’s “Don Pasquale” starring Anna Netrebko and Verdi’s “Il Trovatore” _ plus a current production of Giacomo Puccini’s “La Fanciulla del West.”
Also singing “Live in HD” will be top names like mezzo-soprano Susan Graham and tenor Placido Domingo in Christopher Willibald Gluck’s “Iphigenie en Tauride”; soprano Natalie Dessay in Donizetti’s “Lucia di Lammermoor”; and soprano Renee Fleming in Richard Strauss’s “Capriccio.”
Met’s Live in HD: http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Red Alert focuses on the hottest political topics in the nation and calls Americans to action.
History doesn't have to be grim; there is a lot to be learned from the pages of time.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!