- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
Orioles deny Yankees’ Sabathia 20th victory
Question of the Day
“They were huge,” Arrieta said of the double plays.
Arrieta didn’t give up a hit until the fifth, when Berkman led off with another single. The designated hitter scored, stumbling around third and making a nifty sideways lunge for home plate on Posada’s double off the wall to make it 5-2.
Markakis upped the lead to 6-2 with an RBI single after Curtis Granderson failed to catch Josh Bell’s long drive to center for a two-base error opening the seventh. Markakis‘ one-out hit ended Sabathia’s night.
Sabathia gave up nine hits and a season high-tying six runs — five earned — in 6 1-3 innings. He walked one and struck out five in having his six-start winning streak snapped.
Sabathia sat in the dugout, shaking his head disappointedly while watching Kerry Wood finish the seventh.
The Orioles nearly gave back the runs in a sloppy seventh. Berkman doubled leading off for his third hit and Posada walked. Granderson hit a shallow popup that Jones slowed up on in shallow center, forcing shortstop Robert Andino to make a lunging attempt to catch it. The ball hit off his glove, but Jones forced Posada at second.
Pinch-hitting against reliever Matt Albers, Rodriguez hit a scorching liner at Bell, who knocked it down at third base. Bell recovered to force Granderson.
“Just some bad luck on our part,” manager Joe Girardi said of the seventh inning.
Arrieta, whose first career win came against New York on June 10, gave up eight hits and two runs in 6 1-3 innings.
NOTES: The Orioles recalled LHPs Troy Patton from Triple-A Norfolk and Pedro Viola from Double-A Bowie. … The Yankees were last swept by the Orioles in New York from June 6-8, 1986. … Rodriguez is 0 for 11 as a pinch-hitter in his career.
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq