- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Orioles deny Yankees’ Sabathia 20th victory
“They were huge,” Arrieta said of the double plays.
Arrieta didn’t give up a hit until the fifth, when Berkman led off with another single. The designated hitter scored, stumbling around third and making a nifty sideways lunge for home plate on Posada’s double off the wall to make it 5-2.
Markakis upped the lead to 6-2 with an RBI single after Curtis Granderson failed to catch Josh Bell’s long drive to center for a two-base error opening the seventh. Markakis‘ one-out hit ended Sabathia’s night.
Sabathia gave up nine hits and a season high-tying six runs — five earned — in 6 1-3 innings. He walked one and struck out five in having his six-start winning streak snapped.
Sabathia sat in the dugout, shaking his head disappointedly while watching Kerry Wood finish the seventh.
The Orioles nearly gave back the runs in a sloppy seventh. Berkman doubled leading off for his third hit and Posada walked. Granderson hit a shallow popup that Jones slowed up on in shallow center, forcing shortstop Robert Andino to make a lunging attempt to catch it. The ball hit off his glove, but Jones forced Posada at second.
“Just some bad luck on our part,” manager Joe Girardi said of the seventh inning.
Arrieta, whose first career win came against New York on June 10, gave up eight hits and two runs in 6 1-3 innings.
NOTES: The Orioles recalled LHPs Troy Patton from Triple-A Norfolk and Pedro Viola from Double-A Bowie. … The Yankees were last swept by the Orioles in New York from June 6-8, 1986. … Rodriguez is 0 for 11 as a pinch-hitter in his career.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Protests in Russia against Putin's actions in Ukraine a shift in attitudes
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again