- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
NY opera awards show features Broadway stars
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Broadway stars Patti LuPone and Barbara Cook joined director Francis Ford Coppola and playwright John Guare to present this year's Opera News Awards.
Five artists were recognized in New York on Sunday for their international musical achievements: German tenor Jonas (YOH'-nuhs) Kaufmann, American soprano Patricia Racette (ruh-SEHT'), New Zealand soprano Kiri Te Kanawa (KEER'-ee teh KAH'-nah-wah), Welsh bass-baritone Bryn Terfel (TEHR'-vehl) and Italian conductor Riccardo Muti (MOO'-tee).
The awards were created in 2005 by Opera News, whose circulation of more than 100,000 makes it the world's most popular magazine in the field.
Previous winner and top mezzo-soprano Susan Graham jokingly calls the magazine "our Bible, our porn" for its passionate fan following.
Opera News: http://www.operanews.com
TWT Video Picks
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- TRACCI: Six steps to end the border crisis
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs