- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Support NAT GAS Act
Everybody is talking about it, but Congress doesn’t hear a word we’re saying. America needs jobs and the president, the Tea Party, Democrats and Republicans alike are all pondering where to cut spending and how to create jobs.
In July, the United States imported 359 million barrels of oil, sending nearly $42 billion, or $941,080.51 per minute, to foreign countries that include the OPEC nations - Iran, Libya, Venezuela and Iraq. America is now on course to send $500 billion overseas for 2011. This is a national security issue and Congress is kicking that can down the road.
Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens has said that part of our financial crisis stems from our heavy spending on foreign oil. His NAT GAS Act, (H.R. 1380) encourages the use of domestic natural gas for heavy-duty vehicles. There is bipartisan agreement on this bill among our congressional leaders, and the legislation would create 500,000 new jobs and contribute to stop the distribution of American taxpayer dollars to our enemies within OPEC. Natural gas is cleaner, cheaper and more abundant energy source. Support American energy independence, by supporting H.R. 1380.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults