- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Attorney general: Anthony should serve probation
ORLANDO — Casey Anthony should be forced to serve probation for check fraud because it was impossible to enforce the sentence when she was jailed while awaiting trial on charges of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Florida’s attorney general said Monday.
A court filing from Attorney General Pam Bondi’s office opposes efforts by Miss Anthony’s attorneys, who say the woman is now back in Florida, to prevent her from serving the probation sentence. Last week, Miss Anthony’s attorneys filed an appeal in state court arguing she had already served the probation sentence while she was jailed on the murder charge.
Miss Anthony was acquitted last month of murdering her daughter, Caylee, in a case unrelated to the check fraud, and she was released from the Orange County Jail. Since then, she has kept a low profile, and her exact whereabouts have been secret.
Circuit Judge Stan Strickland sentenced Miss Anthony to a year of probation in January 2010 after she pleaded guilty to stealing checks from a friend. At the time, Judge Strickland said Miss Anthony should serve the probation upon her release, but those instructions never made it into a written order. Corrections officials interpreted the sentence to mean Miss Anthony could serve the probation while she was in jail.
Judge Strickland clarified in an order earlier this month that Miss Anthony must begin her probation now that she is out of jail. He then recused himself from the case and turned it over to Judge Belvin Perry, who had presided over Miss Anthony’s murder trial. Judge Perry upheld Judge Strickland’s order, which Miss Anthony’s attorneys appealed last week to the 5th District Court of Appeals in Daytona Beach.
If the order is upheld, Miss Anthony has until noon Friday to report to the probation office.
Scout leader stabbed from behind during hike
BUNKER HILL — A 76-year-old man was fatally stabbed while leading Boy Scouts on a hiking trip in northern Indiana, and a suspect who battered his mother and killed a dog at their home nearby is under arrest, police said.
The assistant scout leader, Arthur L. Anderson, had stopped to identify a tree on the Nickel Plate Trail in Bunker Hill on Sunday afternoon when an attacker approached him from behind and stabbed him in the neck, Indiana State Police said. Witnesses told police the attack was unprovoked.
Officers later arrested Shane C. Golitko, 22, of Bunker Hill after he ignored a state trooper’s attempted traffic stop and led police on an eight-mile chase, police said.
Police are holding Mr. Golitko without bond on a murder charge and two felony counts of battery at the Miami County Jail. He is due in Miami Circuit Court on Thursday morning.
Police said Mr. Anderson had been involved in scouting for 50 years.
Exxon Mobil: Spill will cost $42 million
BILLINGS — ExxonMobil Pipeline Co. said its oil pipeline spill into Montana’s scenic Yellowstone River will cost an estimated $42.6 million, according to documents obtained Monday by the Associated Press.
The July 1 pipeline break spilled about 42,000 gallons, or 1,000 barrels, of crude oil into the waterway upstream of Billings, the state’s most populous city. Exxon Mobil’s cost estimate includes $40 million for emergency response work and $2.5 million for damage to public and private property.
The company valued the lost oil at $100,000, according to documents submitted to federal pipeline regulators and obtained after a public information request.
The documents also revealed that regulators from the Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration reassured local officials that the pipeline would be able to hold up during flooding along the Yellowstone River in late spring. The pipeline failure occurred during a second round of flooding about a month later.
After initially aiming to complete the work by Sept. 9, ExxonMobil said last week the cleanup may continue for several more months. About 1,000 people are involved in mopping up the spill, which fouled dozens of miles of riverbank.
The company has declined to say how much the accident might cost.
Youth curfew extended after flash mobs
PHILADELPHIA — A stricter curfew for minors will be extended two weeks because the measure has been successful in helping to curb violent attacks by teen mobs that had severely injured several people in recent months, city officials said.
The 9 p.m. summertime curfew was put in place earlier this month downtown and in the University City neighborhood — home to the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. Mayor Michael A. Nutter’s administration is extending it two weeks, until the regular school-year curfew takes effect.
There have been few major problems the last few weeks since the curfew was put into effect, officials said. Last weekend, there were 32 youths picked up for curfew violations, according to police.
The special summertime curfew applies to all children under age 18, with a handful of exceptions, such as youths traveling to jobs.
The regular school-year curfew starts Sept. 6. Under that city ordinance, those ages 13 to 17 are subject to a 10:30 p.m. curfew on weekdays and a midnight curfew on weekends; children younger than 13 have a curfew of 9 p.m. on weekdays and 10 p.m. on weekends.
Somali sentenced for yacht hijacking
NORFOLK — A Somali man was sentenced to life in prison Monday for his role in the hijacking of a yacht off the coast of Africa that left all four Americans onboard dead, telling a federal judge that he never meant for anyone to get hurt.
“I’d like to express my regret and sorrow to the victims’ families,” Ali Abdi Mohamed said through an interpreter.
Mohamed is the first of 11 men who have pleaded guilty to piracy in the case to be sentenced. Each of the men face mandatory life sentences, although that could eventually be reduced as part of a plea deal with federal prosecutors. A second Somali was expected to be sentenced later in the day.
The owners of the Quest, Jean and Scott Adam of Marina del Rey, Calif., along with friends Bob Riggle and Phyllis Macay of Seattle, were fatally shot in February several days after being taken hostage several hundred miles south of Oman. They were the first Americans to be killed in a wave of piracy that has plagued the Indian Ocean in recent years.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.