- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Apology accepted
If I understand the principles of Christianity correctly, we as Christians must forgive those who have acknowledged the fact that they have made mistakes. And mistake-makers include us all.
What I'm wondering is why Newt Gingrich has to keep explaining his past to everyone who asks. Mr. Gingrich has acknowledged that he has made mistakes. Enough said.
Has President Obama ever acknowledgedthe fact that he sat and listened for 20 years to a preacher who has little or no respect for America? Has he acknowledged the close relationships he had with unsavory people, among whom is a self-professed terroristby the name of William Ayers? I can answer both of those questions: no.
Do we want a president who can acknowledge that he has made mistakes or do we want a president who is so arrogant that he believes he hasn'tmade any?
We have heard a lot about flip-flopping this election cycle. Each candidate is accused of changing his mind on some important issue. Frankly, I have no problem with mistakes as long as the candidate understands there was something wrong with his previous stance or association and now believes there is a better way to do things.
I also believe the leader of the Free World is as entitled to repentance as the rest of us. As far as I m concerned, Newt Gingrich already has repented.
GEORGE T. WEIR
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine