- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Apology accepted
If I understand the principles of Christianity correctly, we as Christians must forgive those who have acknowledged the fact that they have made mistakes. And mistake-makers include us all.
What I'm wondering is why Newt Gingrich has to keep explaining his past to everyone who asks. Mr. Gingrich has acknowledged that he has made mistakes. Enough said.
Has President Obama ever acknowledgedthe fact that he sat and listened for 20 years to a preacher who has little or no respect for America? Has he acknowledged the close relationships he had with unsavory people, among whom is a self-professed terroristby the name of William Ayers? I can answer both of those questions: no.
Do we want a president who can acknowledge that he has made mistakes or do we want a president who is so arrogant that he believes he hasn'tmade any?
We have heard a lot about flip-flopping this election cycle. Each candidate is accused of changing his mind on some important issue. Frankly, I have no problem with mistakes as long as the candidate understands there was something wrong with his previous stance or association and now believes there is a better way to do things.
I also believe the leader of the Free World is as entitled to repentance as the rest of us. As far as I m concerned, Newt Gingrich already has repented.
GEORGE T. WEIR
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ed Feulner
Nation is rising again on the shoulders of average folks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same