Continued from page 1

Boeheim has not suffered any consequences in his employment for using his position of power within the university to make these false, inflammatory and injurious statements about Bobby and Mike.”

Boeheim first softened his stance 10 days after the accusations were made public. After Fine was fired Nov. 27, Boeheim released a statement saying he regretted any statements he made that might have been “insensitive to victims of abuse.” On Nov. 29, Boeheim apologized but said again he didn’t regret defending his old friend based on the information he had at the time and said he had never worried about his job status in 36 years.

By Dec. 2, he was far more contrite.

“I believe I misspoke very badly in my response to the allegations that have been made,” said Boeheim, who paused frequently during a postgame press conference. “I shouldn’t have questioned what the accusers expressed or their motives. I am really sorry that I did that, and I regret any harm that I caused.”

Davis, now 39, told ESPN that Fine molested him beginning in 1984 and that the sexual contact continued until he was around 27. A ball boy for six years, Davis told ESPN that the abuse occurred at Fine’s home, at Syracuse basketball facilities and on team road trips, including the 1987 Final Four.

Davis‘ stepbrother, Lang, 45, who also was a ball boy, told ESPN that Fine began molesting him while he was in fifth or sixth grade.

Davis told ESPN that Boeheim knew he was traveling on the road and sleeping in Fine’s room.

Boeheim saw me with Bernie all the time in the hotel rooms, on road trips,” Davis said. “He’d come in and see me laying in the bed, kind of glance at me like, ‘What are you doing here?’ But he wouldn’t say that. He’d just scowl. And I would look at him like, I’d be nervous. I felt embarrassed ‘cause I felt stupid that I’m there. I’m not supposed to be here. I know it, and Boeheim’s not stupid.”

In a Nov. 17 telephone interview with the AP, Boeheim denied ever going to the assistant’s room, much less seeing Davis there.

“This kid came forward, and there was no one to corroborate his story. Not one. Not one,” Boeheim said. “They said I walked into Bernie’s room on the road and saw this. I have never walked into Bernie’s room on the road. This isn’t true. This just isn’t true.”

Davis went to the Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper in 2002 and ESPN in 2003; neither media outlet could corroborate his claims. He went to the police, too, in 2002, and a detective told him the statute of limitations had expired. Three years later, he went to the university; Syracuse had its lawyers do an internal investigation and said it, too, couldn’t verify Davis‘ accusations.

Then, on Nov. 17 — with the country still caught up in the child-sex-abuse scandal at Penn State, where a former assistant football coach is accused of molesting at least 10 boys — Davis told his story on ESPN. Lang also came forward. Ten days later, Zach Tomaselli of Lewiston, Maine, spoke out. Also on Nov. 27, ESPN aired a tape in which a woman it identified as Fine’s wife tells Davis she knew “everything” that was going on.

The university fired Fine that day.

Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said last week that Davis was credible but that he couldn’t investigate under state law because the statute of limitations had expired.

The statute of limitations in New York on bringing a civil suit for child sexual abuse is five years after the victim turns 18, though there have been several legislative attempts recently to open a one-year window for older incidents. Prosecutors can bring criminal charges for felony sex abuse any time during the victim’s life under an amendment to New York’s criminal procedure law enacted Aug. 5, 2008. Previously the felony limit was five years.

Story Continues →