D.C. Council members are to meet Monday behind closed doors to discuss the latest development in the federal investigation of colleague Harry Thomas Jr., whose house was raided Friday by federal agents.
The daylong raid by FBI and IRS agents on Mr. Thomas‘ Northeast Washington home is a significant development in a criminal investigation into whether the council member used public funds for personal gain.
D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh, who already has called on Mr. Thomas, Ward 5 Democrat, to resign, said obtaining a search warrant does not require a high standard for the evidence. Nevertheless, she characterized the event as a “new and ominous phase” in the investigation.
“Obviously, all of us are very sad and disturbed by this turn of events,” said Ms Cheh, Ward 3 Democrat.
About two dozen agents in FBI and Treasury Department jackets and vests entered and exited Mr. Thomas‘ house from 8 a.m. until after 5 p.m. Friday. Police cordoned off the U-shaped drive that runs in front of the two-story brick house and neighboring homes near the intersection of 17th Street and Montana Avenue Northeast.
The most obvious things that were seized were a red motorcycle with yellow detailing and a Chevrolet Tahoe, which were loaded onto a tow truck from the driveway of the house.
Ted J. Williams, a D.C. criminal defense attorney, said the raid likely was conducted to gather evidence such as financial records and could signal that authorities’ investigation into Mr. Thomas‘ activities is winding down.
“Today’s law enforcement action is in conjunction with an ongoing investigation,” he said. “Because the investigation is continuing, there will be no comment at this time.”
“We certainly understand the interest of the public and respect that interest,” lawyer Karl Racine said. “From day one, we’ve cooperated with the government’s investigation of this matter, and we’ll continue to do that. At the conclusion of the matter, we sincerely believe that there will be no finding of any criminal violation.”
Mr. Thomas agreed to repay $300,000 to the District after the city’s attorney general filed a $1 million lawsuit against him earlier this year for funding lavish trips and a luxury vehicle with public funds earmarked for youth baseball.
Mr. Thomas said after the settlement was announced that he had entered into it in the “best interest of the city” and denied “purposeful misuse” of public funds.View Entire Story
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc