- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Question of the Day
Government’s candidate out of presidential election
PORT-AU-PRINCE | Officials dropped the government-backed candidate from a presidential runoff on Thursday, ending a standoff with the United States and other foreign powers over a first round of voting marred by fraud and disorganization.
The electoral commission said the March 20 runoff will match former first lady Mirlande Manigat against Michel Martelly, a carnival singer known as “Sweet Micky.” The announcement, made after dawn following more than 13 hours of deliberations, means Jude Celestin is out of the race.
The decision is expected to head off a repeat of rioting in December after the commission announced that Mr. Celestin had edged Mr. Martelly for a place in the runoff according to the preliminary results of the Nov. 28 vote.
Airport bomber’s kin suspected in deadly blast
MOSCOW | Russia’s top security official said Thursday that several people with information on last month’s suicide bombing at the country’s biggest airport have been detained and that the bomber was under the influence of mind-altering drugs.
Alexander Bortnikov said relatives of a woman killed preparing a suicide bombing in Moscow are suspected of providing assistance in the airport attack. The Jan. 24 bombing at Domodedovo Airport killed 36 people and wounded 180.
Al-Maliki accused Iran, Syria of insurgent aid
BAGHDAD | A leaked U.S. diplomatic cable said Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki accused Iran and Syria of arming insurgents in September 2009 - a charge that would boost American claims that the neighboring countries were launching pads for violence in Iraq.
He made the statement more than a month after deadly bombings at government buildings that led to a dispute with Syria over accusations that Damascus was harboring Sunni terrorists.
Mr. al-Maliki told U.S. Ambassador Christopher Hill on Sept. 22, 2009, that five Shiite militants were captured trying to smuggle weapons in a Toyota Land Cruiser, according to the memo posted on the WikiLeaks website.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq