- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Former Golden Globes publicist sues, claims payola
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A former publicist for the organization that runs the Golden Globes sued the group on the eve of its glitzy awards show, claiming it engages in payola schemes for nominations and awards.
Michael Russell sued the Hollywood Foreign Press Association late Thursday, just three days before NBC airs the annual gathering of Hollywood royalty that has been bumped twice from the airwaves over the years due to scandal.
The lawsuit claims many association members “abuse their positions and engage in unethical and potentially unlawful deals and arrangements which amount to a ‘payola’ scheme” that could be illegal and jeopardize the group’s tax-exempt status.
The court filing, however, does not list any specific examples in which a studio or producer has paid for a Golden Globes nomination or award.
A statement from Ken Sunshine, whose company currently handles the show’s public relations, said the allegations were without merit.
“This is no more than the case of a disgruntled former consulting firm, whose contract was not renewed, attempting to take advantage once again of the Globe’s international stage for their own gain,” the statement reads.
Russell’s lawsuit seeks $2 million and alleges breach of contract, defamation and fraud over the association’s firing of Russell and his partner after the awards show last year. The complaint states the pair were dismissed after a dispute with association President Philip Berk over a charity and advertising campaign with Chrysler.
The pair frequently tried to raise the issue of ethical and potentially unlawful activity to Berk, the complaint states, but the claims were ignored.
The suit also alleges the association sells prime spots on the show’s red carpet to lesser-known media outlets.
Timothy McGonigle, an attorney representing Russell and partner Stephen Locascio, rejected claims they were acting out of spite.
“Michael Russell and Stephen Locascio have brought this lawsuit in the hope that the Hollywood Foreign Press will take the problems seriously and change their practices so that their awards will have credibility,” he said.
Although the show is a precursor to the Academy Awards, it has long been criticized for some of its nominations, which are perceived as a way to gain favor with top actors.
This year’s show has been no different, with criticism of acting nominations for Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie for “The Tourist,” a critical and commercial flop.
Still, the show has been known to boost the Oscar chances of some contenders and to be more unpredictable than other award shows.
Preparations were progressing Friday for Sunday’s show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, as crews laid out the red carpet, stages were built, and media personnel were shown where they could set up cameras.
Like many of the actors and actresses the show spotlights, the Golden Globes has had its share of scandal.
In the late 1960s, the Federal Communications Commission questioned the authenticity of the voting process, and the show was knocked off the air for several years. The FCC cited the network for careless oversight in failing to verify the credentials of the voters and the secrecy of the results.
Russell’s lawsuit notes another controversy that cast the Globes into relative obscurity for more than a decade.
In the early 1980s, the awards show lost its broadcast deal with CBS after its members were accused of receiving favors in exchange for giving actress Pia Zadora a newcomer award.
In 2008, the show was reduced to a press conference when actors refused to cross picket lines during the height of a Hollywood writers strike.
Since 1996, the ceremony has been broadcast by NBC, which Russell said was due in part to his work rebuilding the association’s credibility. According to the lawsuit, the network has paid $12 million a year for the broadcast rights in a deal that expires after Sunday’s show. The lawsuit claims a renewed license fee could jump to $26 million a year.
NBC declined to comment on the lawsuit.
The association sued the show’s longtime producer, Dick Clark Productions, in November, claiming the company entered a broadcast agreement with NBC without the association’s permission. Dick Clark Productions has denied wrongdoing and asked a federal judge to dismiss the case. That motion is scheduled to be heard in March.
The association currently has 90 members from six continents, far less than the roughly 6,000 voters who select Oscar winners.
TWT Video Picks
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- U.S. evacuates embassy in Libya amid violent clashes between militias
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama: U.S. should 'embrace an economic patriotism that says we rise or fall together'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq