- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Nationals place Hairston on DL with broken wrist
WASHINGTON (AP) - Jerry Hairston Jr. was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a broken bone in his right wrist, an injury that is expected to sideline him from two to four weeks.
Hairston was hurt when he was hit by a pitch from Dan Haren in Wednesday’s loss to the Los Angeles Angels. Hairston said the twilight conditions kept him from seeing the pitch in time, and he knew right away his wrist was broken.
“Hopefully healthy in two weeks,” he said. “It’s one of those things where it’s broke in a good area where it could heal pretty quick.”
Hairston said he’ll give the wrist a week or so to calm down and then try swinging a bat. The injury doesn’t require surgery or a cast.
“If I can swing the bat and tolerate it, they’ll let me go,” he said.
Hairston is batting .260 with two home runs and 17 RBIs. His move to the DL is retroactive to June 30.
The Nationals also activated outfielder Rick Ankiel from the 15-day DL.
Ankiel missed 14 games with a strained rib cage muscle. He was batting .204 with one home run and nine RBIs entering Friday’s series opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.