- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama advisers flee to escape reality
Question of the Day
One indicator of additional economic disaster looming over the land of the free and the home of the brave is the number of highfalutin economists who are deserting the Obama administration (“Goolsbee exit comes at tough time for Obama, economy,” Web, June 7).
Larry Summers, Christina Romer and now Austan Goolsbee are all getting out of Dodge before the dreaded double dip. Who can blame them as they escape the high-pressure Beltway for the more polite on the surface but no more congenial ivory tower?
All of these experts have academia in common. Forget the realm of hard knocks, where real-world data rule the decision-making roost. Better, as the progressive conceit would have it, to theorize about what should work, experiment on a work force in extremis and, if found wanting, blame George W. Bush, “bumps in the road” or anything other than yourself.
So what if trillions of dollars are thrown away trying to resurrect Keynesian theory and the fantasy of the multiplier effect? This will provide fodder for doctoral theses in years to come, so all is not wasted, according to these people.
To add insult to the injury of the metronomic failure of Obamanomics is the fact that real-world economists from the business sector have informed the president and his advisers all along. But what do they know? After all, facts are troublesome, especially when they clash with liberal dogma.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'