- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Atlas’ film acquires modern significance
Question of the Day
The Washington Times is absolutely right about President Obama’s plan to blow $53 billion “on a trip down memory lane” (“Fiscal responsibility derailed,” Comment & Analysis, Tuesday). Speaking of memory lane, have you checked out the film version of “Atlas Shrugged”? After recently watching “The Fountainhead,” the 1949 film with Gary Cooper, I was not expecting much from this latest Ayn Rand novel film adaptation. Unfortunately, Rand pretty much took control of the screenplay and killed the movie version of “The Fountainhead.”
How could the producers of the new “Atlas Shrugged” possibly make the film current using railroad trains? Well, they did. Just jack the gas price up to $4 a gallon, turn all U.S. cities into inner-city Detroit and trains make sense again. I was amazed how little effort it took to make that novel current on the big screen.
I do not expect the movie to have much impact, however. Most young people would just be confused and Mr. Obama probably thinks “Atlas Shrugged” is a book about trains.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado