- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
Stevie Wonder surprises Tulane grads in song
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Grammy award-winner Stevie Wonder surprised graduates at Tulane University with an impromptu performance of his hit “You Are The Sunshine of My Life,” during ceremonies at which he also received an honorary degree.
Nobel Laureate Walter Gilbert and award-winning journalist Cokie Roberts also received degrees during Thursday’s commencement exercises for 2,300 students. New York Times columnist and Pulitzer Prize winning author Thomas Friedman was the keynote speaker.
As Michael White’s Original Liberty Jazz Band and singer Topsy Chapman performed “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans,” Wonder unexpectedly added his harmonica magic to the song. He also briefly addressed the graduates and recited the words of a new song he’s penned called “Ten Billion Hearts.”
University spokesman Michael Strecker says the audience received an “unexpected treat.”
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- As Ukraine falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again