- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
SANDS: Familiar faces capture national, women’s titles
Question of the Day
Kamsky-Shulman, St. Louis, April 2011
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. g3 dxc4 5. Bg2 c5 6. O-O Nc6 7. dxc5 Qxd1 8. Rxd1 Bxc5 9. Nbd2 c3 10. bxc3 O-O 11. Nb3 Be7 12. Nfd4 Bd7 13. Nxc6 Bxc6 14. Bxc6 bxc6 15. c4 a5 16. Bd2 a4 17. Na5 Ra6 18. Rab1 Rfa8 19. Nb7 Kf8 20. Be3 Ne4 21. Rd3 Rb8 22. Bf4 Rba8 23. f3 Nc5 24. Nxc5 Bxc5+ 25. Kf1 Ke8 26. Be5 g6 27. Bf6 Rb6 28. Rxb6 Bxb6 29. Ke1 Bc5 30. Kd2 Rb8 31. Kc2 Be7 32. Bc3 f5 33. Rd1 Bc5 34. h3 h5 35. g4 hxg4 36. hxg4 fxg4 37. fxg4 Rd8 38. Rb1 Kd7 39. Rb7+ Kd6 40. Rg7 Rh8 41. Rxg6 Rh2 42. Kd2 Rh3 43. Rg8 Rg3 44. Kc2 Be3 45. Rd8+ Ke7 46. Rd3 Bf4 47. Bb4+ Kf6 48. Rxg3 Bxg3 49. Kb2 Kg5 50. Ka3 Kxg4 51. Kxa4 Bf2 52. c5 Kf4 53. Ka5 Ke3 54. Kb6 Kxe2 55. Kxc6 Kd3 56. Kb5 Kd4 57. a4 Kd5 1-0.
Krush-Zatonskih, St. Louis, April 2011
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Be7 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Bf4 Nf6 6. e3 Bf5 7. Qb3 Nc6 8. g4 Nxg4 9. Qxd5 Qxd5 10. Nxd5 Bb4+ 11. Nxb4 Nxb4 12. Rc1 c6 13. a3 Nd3+ 14. Bxd3 Bxd3 15. f3 Nf6 16. Kd2 Bg6 17. Ne2 O-O 18. h4 Rfe8 19. e4 Nh5 20. Rhg1 f5 21. e5 Rad8 22. Bh2 Bf7 23. Rg5 g6 24. Rg2 Ng7 25. Ke3 Ne6 26. Bf4 Rd5 27. b4 a5 28. Kd3 Red8 29. Bg5 Nxg5 30. hxg5 axb4 31. axb4 Rxe5 32. Rc5 Re7 33. b5 Bd5 34. Rf2 b6 35. Rc1 cxb5 0-1.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. His column can also be found online at www.washingtontimes.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Song soars with dramatic Cadet chess victory
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world