- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
HAGELIN: Girl Scouts’ agenda takes turn to the left
Question of the Day
Culture challenge of the week: Girl Scouting turns raunchy
The Girl Scouts gather this week in Houston to celebrate the organization’s 100th anniversary, with a convention theme of “Renewing the Promise: Girl Scouts in a New Century.”
The Girl Scouts’ promise to its 3.2 million members includes, among other things, the commitment to help girls “develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making.”
A quick look at the lineup of speakers for the convention makes it clear that Girl Scout leaders are promoting not the traditional values of the original Girl Scouts, but the radical, raunchy values and relativistic decision-making of the trendy left-wing Girl Scouts.
The real theme might be described more aptly as “Reneging on the Promise: Girl Scouts Turn Left in the New Century.”
The women showcased at this year’s convention - held up as models of leadership and inspiration - reveal an agenda-driven organization. The speakers include:
• Swanee Hunt, a powerful Democratic fundraiser and philanthropist with a mission to achieve “gender parity.” She has directed huge sums to homosexual and pro-choice causes.
• Annise Parker, mayor of Houston and a lesbian who presided over the opening of a Planned Parenthood abortion center in her city.
• Marlee Matlin, an actress and supporter of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, who is known for her portrayal of a deaf lesbian on Showtime’s “The L word.”
• Monique Coleman, a singer and actress (star of Disney’s popular “High School Musical” films) who promotes organizations such as South Africa’s Love Life - a program aimed at teaching adolescents how to assert their sexual and reproductive rights.
Parents who are trying to instill timeless values and strong morals in their daughters would never want them to idolize Monique Coleman and her trash talk, or to find inspiration in a Girl Scout “Woman of Distinction” like Ann Shoket, editor of Seventeen magazine - a publication that encourages teen sex as an “amazing experience.”
Most parents, however, don’t know the true agenda of today’s Girl Scouts.
The Girls Scouts’ agenda is most obvious on a national level, but state organizations are complicit as well. Take the Colorado state organization, for example. It recently issued a statement that parrots typical LGBT propaganda in response to a mother’s objection that her cross-dressing 7-year-old boy was refused membership in the local Girl Scouts chapter.
The Colorado Girl Scouts reversed its local leader’s refusal to admit the boy and instead announced that it welcomes any boy who “self-identifies,” as the phrase goes, as a girl. This oh-so-progressive transgender-supportive policy says, “If a child identifies as a girl and the child’s family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout.”
In contrast to the Boy Scouts of America - an organization I have long supported and recommended - the Girl Scouts of the United States of America has been co-opted as the functional arm of the Democratic, feminist establishment. It dupes millions of American families into believing that its only mission is to promote wholesome leadership activities for girls.
How to save your family: Tell the truth about the Girl Scouts
In the blitz surrounding its 2011 convention, the Girl Scouts called upon its alumnae to support the Girl Scouts’ work, reminding its former members that they “belong to one of the most powerful all-women networks in the country.” True enough.
If you are a former Girl Scout and want the Scouts to return to a wholesome emphasis on character, leadership and service in the context of traditional morality, then make your voice heard. Send email or make a phone call to protest the promotion of pro-abortion and LGBT advocates and to ask the organization to stop trampling over the religious and moral concerns of its own members.
Visit SpeakNowGirlScouts.com, a simple website with powerful information about the Girl Scouts’ leftward tilt. Founded by two longtime Girl Scouts who left the organization because of its increasing connections to abortion advocacy, SpeakNow keeps Girl Scouts - and their parents - informed about the organization’s disturbing direction.
In troops all over the country, the Girl Scouts gathers young women who want nothing other than to form fast friendships, find encouragement and serve others. It’s a crying shame that, on the eve of its 100th anniversary, the Girl Scouts has broken its promise to the girls it once sought to serve.
• Rebecca Hagelin can be reached at rebecca@howtosave yourfamily.com.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow