- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Is it time to sell high on Michigan?
Question of the Day
If Michigan were a stock, and the better its ranking the higher the price, there would be a lot of traders wondering if now is the time to sell high on the Wolverines.
No. 11 Michigan is 6-0, but the Wolverines started fast and faded the past two seasons under coach Rich Rodriguez. An improved defense under new coach Brady Hoke makes the Wolverines look better built for the long run this year.
Still, halfway through the season, there's much to learn about Michigan.
Its most impressive victory was that wild game against Notre Dame, and before last week's 42-24 win at Northwestern, Michigan had not played a road game.
The Wolverines are on the road again Saturday, facing No. 23 Michigan State and trying to snap a three-game losing streak in a rivalry that they are not used to losing.
"Obviously, the guys know what the history has been," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said.
Sparty hasn't beaten 'big brother' Michigan four straight years since 1959-62. And Michigan is 67-31-5 in the series.
"I believe in making (the Michigan rivalry) important," Spartans coach Mark Dantonio said Tuesday. "And, doing certain things to try and put an asterisk behind that game."
We haven't heard much from the Spartans this season. They were dominated 31-13 by Notre Dame last month and their best win was 10-7 slog at Ohio State. So we'll find out a lot about them, too.
Michigan State's defense is the toughest Denard Robinson and the Wolverines have faced. The Spartans rank among the best in the Big Ten and the nation in yards and points allowed. They haven't gotten a running game going yet, but senior quarterback Kirk Cousins should test a Michigan defense that is no doubt better than last season and is just as assuredly still vulnerable to a good offense.
A victory at Michigan State could send Michigan's price, er, ranking into the top 10 with a week off and a home game against Purdue to close October.
That's when holding on to Michigan would get really risky. November is by far the Wolverines' toughest month with road games at Iowa and Illinois followed by home games against Nebraska and Ohio State.
No. 1 LSU (minus 16) at Tennessee
For second straight week, Tigers get opponent with injured QB ... LSU 28-10.
No. 2 Alabama (minus 25 1/2) at Mississippi
Tide has won seven straight against Rebels ... ALABAMA 33-10.
No. 3 Oklahoma (minus 34 1/2) at Kansas
Only kindness of Bob Stoops' heart can prevent OU from scoring 80 ... OKLAHOMA 62-10.
Indiana (plus 40) at No. 4 Wisconsin
Badgers put 83 on Hoosiers last season ... WISCONSIN 90-14.
No. 5 Boise State (minus 32) at Colorado State
Kellen Moore has 18 straight games of at least two TD passes ... BOISE STATE 42-7.
No. 6 Oklahoma State (minus 7 1/2) at No. 22 Texas
Longhorns are 13-0 under Mack Brown in game after Red River Rivalry ... OKLAHOMA ST. 41-35.
No. 7 Stanford (minus 21) at Washington State
Cougars are much improved, but not THAT much ... STANFORD 45-17.
No. 8 Clemson (minus 7 1/2) at Maryland
QB Tajh Boyd (hip) has practiced, all is well with the Tigers ... CLEMSON 28-17.
No. 18 Arizona State (plus 16) at No. 9 Oregon
Ducks have won six straight against Sun Devils ... OREGON 38-31.
No. 11 Michigan (plus 3) at No. 23 Michigan State
Sell ... MICHIGAN STATE 27-21.
No. 12 Georgia Tech (minus 7 1/2) at Virginia
Cavaliers rank third in ACC in total offense and defense ... VIRGINIA 31-28.
No. 15 South Carolina (minus 3 1/2) at Mississippi State
Gamecocks can't blame Stephen Garcia anymore ... MISSISSIPPI STATE 28-24.
Ohio State (plus 4) at No. 16 Illinois
Illini looking for first 7-0 start since 1951 ... ILLINOIS 24-18.
No. 17 Kansas State (plus 3) at Texas Tech
Wildcats have lost three straight in Lubbock ... TEXAS TECH 35-24.
No. 19 Virginia Tech (minus 7) at Wake Forest
Wake coach Jim Grobe working on another ACC coach of year award ... VIRGINIA TECH 28-23.
No. 20 Baylor (plus 9) at No. 21 Texas A&M
Baylor won't waive right to sue if Aggies ruin Robert Griffin III's Heisman hopes ... TEXAS A&M 48-38.
Florida (minus 2) at No. 24 Auburn
Tigers sticking with their QB; Gators not sure who theirs will be ... FLORIDA 27-24.
Last week's record: 16-4 (straight); 15-5 (vs. spread).
Season record: 106-17 (straight); 59-40-1 (vs. spread).
Best bets: 5-1.
Upset specials (vs. spread): 3-3.
Ralph D. Russo can be followed at http://Twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world